This guide is about the WordPress add category. Categories organize your posts and provide easy navigation to readers. You will get a step by step guide to create categories in WordPress.
WordPress add category
In WordPress, you find the existing default category Uncategorized. To create new category, follow these steps,
- Open WordPress admin dashboard.
- Navigate to Posts → Categories.
- Provide category name, parent category and description.
- Click the “Add New Category” button.
Create category form fields in WordPress
- Name − Unique name of your category.
- Slug − Word slug for category url. By default, created from your category name.
- Parent Category − Select None to make top level category and select parent category name to make category as subcategory.
- Description − Category description. It is optional.
In WordPress, by default a new category is added as a Top level Category. It means, category is not subcategory and does not have any parent category.
How to create a subcategory?
To create or add a subcategory in WordPress, first create your top level parent category.
Now, open the create category page, enter your subcategory name and select parent category from “Parent Category” options. Next, submit a form to create your subcategory.
For example, Create Crypto top level category and select Crypto as parent category to create Bitcoin subcategory.
Make top level category a subcategory:
You can also make any top level category a subcategory. To do this, open the category edit page and set the parent category.
Same thing can be applicable for subcategory to make it second level subcategory.