This guide explains how to use the Google Chrome tab groups feature. Tab groups allow you to organize your tabs by creating, naming, collapsing, and reordering them.
This Chrome tab groups guide includes:
- How to create a tab group in Chrome?
- Chrome tab group settings
- How do I permanently group tabs in Chrome?
- How to make tab groups on Chrome mobile?
Chrome tab groups
Tab groups in Chrome help you keep your open tabs organized, so you can stay on top of your work and get things done faster.
1. How to create a tab group in Chrome?
To create a tab group in Chrome, follow these steps:
- Right click on a tab.
- Click “Add Tab to new group”.
- Click “New group” or click an existing tab group name.
- Set name and color to your new tab group (optional).
2. Chrome tab group settings
To open a tab group settings, Right-click the colored circle/tab group name next to the tab group you wish to customize. Customization settings are:
- Name – Set tab group name by entering group related name in “Name this group” input box.
- Colors – Set color for your tab group from grey, blue, red, yellow, green, pink, purple, cyan and orange color options.
- Ungroup – Make ungroup all group tabs and stay open.
- Close group – Close group and all group tabs.
- Move group to new window – Open new browser window and move tab group with tabs to new opened window.
- Save group (*) – To save or unsave a tab group permanently. (This option is available only if you enabled the Experimental Tab Groups Save feature.)
How to expand or collapse a Chrome tab group?
To expand or collapse a tab group, click group name or colored circle.
How to reorder Chrome tab groups?
Click and drag a tab group name or colored circle to change the whole group position order.
3. How do I permanently group tabs in Chrome?
Tab Groups Save feature to save group tabs permanently is currently in Experiments. To use this feature, you need to enable the Tab Groups Save feature from Experiments.
[ Note: Read Experiments feature details before enabling feature. ]
How to enable Tab Groups Save feature from Experiments?
To enable the Tab Groups Save feature:
- Open chrome://flags/ page in Chrome.
- Search the “Tab Groups Save” flag in the Experiments Available tab.
- Set “Enabled” and click the Relaunch button.
Now, your Chrome browser will restart and you get the “Save group” option tab group settings, to save your tab group permanently.
In the Tab Groups Save feature, “Delete group” option is available for unsaved tab groups only.
Your saved tab groups are available in the Chrome bookmark bar.
Tab Groups Save:
“Enables users to explicitly save and recall tab groups. – Mac, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, Fuchsia, Lacros”
4. How to make tab groups on Chrome mobile?
Yes, On Android Chrome mobile browser you can group your tabs.
To group tabs in Chrome mobile browser follow this steps:
- Open Chrome browser on the phone.
- Tap Switch tabs (square icon), right side of the address bar.
- Touch and hold any tab or tap More “ ⁝ ” icon.
- Tap “Select tabs”.
- Select tabs you want to group.
- Tap More “ ⁝ ” icon and then Group tabs.
In the switch tabs screen, you can also group tabs by – Touch and hold a tab, and drag over another tab you want to group it with.
Manage group tabs in Chrome mobile browser
To view group tabs in Chrome mobile, Tap Switch tabs (square icon) and select a group. To add a new tab to a group, long-press and drag the tab to the group.
And, to remove tab from group, long-press and drag the tab to the “Remove from group” section (at the bottom of screen).
That’s all about the Chrome Group Tabs feature guide. Hope you find a guide helpful to organize tabs in your Chrome browser.
Google Chrome related posts
- How to Group Tabs in Chrome? (Chrome Tab Groups)
- How to Set the Homepage in Google Chrome?
- How to Copy HTML Code From Inspect Element (Chrome Console)
- How to Use MozBar Extension in Chrome Incognito Mode?
- 8+ Best Tab Manager Extensions for Chrome
- How to Install Google Chrome on Ubuntu
- Download Chrome for MacBook and Install steps
- Full page screenshot in Chrome browser
- How to Keep Tabs Open in Browser When Re-open?